I warned them before beginning that Mason is a hard one to stick, his veins tend to clot or collapse. Unfortunately this was in full force Monday. The first IV team attempted three placements in Mason's arms. All 3 failed. They could not even get enough blood to fill one tube for his labs, much less the five tubes he needed before placing the IV. The IV lady left in tears for my poor, sweet boy who was in pain and asking if he could go home or if she would go away please. A while later another IV team arrived to try. They used one of Mason's feet and after two attempts (#4 and #5 for the day) they still had no success. This IV team lead said she would be back later after tracking down a machine that might help. The only good part to this attempt was that Mason cannot feel his feet. They were bruised right away but he didn't feel anything. The nurses also put a call in to Mason's nephrologist Dr. A to tell her what was going on and recommend she begin considering alternatives.
Nurses started the infusion, which was only 1/4 of the normal dose. Half an hour later it was done and we had to just watch for a reaction. Mason was on blood pressure, breathing, and cardiac monitors for the next several hours. He did just fine.
Since returning home Tuesday Mason has done remarkably well. We have been expecting a high fever and flu like symptoms (achy bones) but so far everything has been mild. Mason will have another infusion in 3 months and then every 3 months after that. If the IV continues to be a struggle there is an alternative medication he could do orally but it is not as effective as the Zoledronic Acid. We will have to wait and see!