Overall everything looks good, there is no infection and the tissue is healthy. The one oddity is that Mason’s sacrum (well, the end of it, his tailbone) is sticking out. The reason that is odd is because the surgeon cut off part of the tailbone during Mason’s last surgery, which we did NOT know, and it has already regrown. Healthy bone is not a bad thing, though it may be trimmed again soon.
On Monday Mason will have his 11th surgery. Dr. P feels that everything looks healthy and in a good place to try closing the incision. However he is going in with two possible plans and he will decide which one to do once he’s in there and cleaning out the incision.
- Option A – He will do a partial closure that uses long-term stitches to allow the incision to continue healing on it’s own. A third surgery would be needed at a later date to close the rest of the incision.
- Option B – He will do a complete closure that also includes long-term stitches. No further surgeries would be required.
With either option there is still a chance that the incision will reopen and we will be back where we started. Dr. P also will decide after he finishes the surgery if Mason will need to stay the night at the hospital or not depending on how the surgery went.
All in all we’re making progress. Either surgery is a step forward and means we are that much closer to possibly healing this incision. That also brings us closer to the other surgeries Mason needs, beginning with his spinal cord detethering. For now I can only focus on what needs done today, so that’s what I’m doing!